Sunday 27 March 2011

75. I went for a drive.

25. Someone who fascinates you and why

Fascinates me… I dunno, lots of people are interesting! Each in their own way. Some more than others, of course, but when you watch them for long enough you’ll always find something. Little things they do… rubbing their feet together when warm and comfy? Opera singing in the bathroom (I always like to think it’s on the toilet, for extra amusement)? The way someone walks, why do their hands have a semi-spasm every time they swing backwards? Everyone is interesting!

I may possibly have that bad habit of staring at people when they really catch my eye, but don’t we all? Maybe. I wish it was polite to stare. I’m not staring because of that horn growing out of your head, ok so maybe I am… but it’s INTERESTING. Why is it there? It’s not freaky at all, s’all fine. I can’t exactly call you a freak since my feet aren’t exactly the most normal feet ever… we’ve all got oddities.

I don’t take much notice of famous folks. Janis Joplin was interesting, though.

Yeah… not much to say about this one.

Ahh… so, now I’ve had a night here at Golant. I need to definitely remember to bring my own bed sheet for next time, forgot how the YHA standard bedding doesn’t fit “normal” beds (just midget bunk beds).
Slept well, it was so gloriously dark and silent! At some point I had a dream that something was happening, something something something, and then something smashed in my face – perhaps thinking back to the other nights exploding rocks / wood on the beach fire? ANYWAY, that sort of woke me up, and then I thought that at the same time something very close to me had sounded like it had banged so maybe they were linked.
But then I stayed awake a little while as it was 5:30am and it was SOOOO GOOOD because the morning chorus was in full whack! There was still a night owl hooting (sounded like a tawny) but every single bird outside had joined in chirping and tweeting, and the pheasants were still doing there thing… and it was ever so slightly lighter, but very very misty (it’s still a bit misty in the river area currently – it was VERY misty when I got out of bed half an hour ago) (9:30).

Today is another sunny day. I should really get out and go for a walk or something, but I kinda want to sit in and paint. I’m here for 3 weeks, so it’s not as if I’m never going to have spare time, right? Plus I don’t have a map. I’d like to have an OS walking map (the orange ones) for this area. In fact I’d like to have all the orange maps to cover Cornwall (not literally). I wouldn’t be so needing if I had the interwebs… that way I could get the maps off of OS online (just the little bits I needed) or check them out on Google Earth. Hum dum.

Hello 2:35pm. I am just back from my wanderings – yes, I did go wandering in the end, without a map. I found the route out of the YHA the back way as some young childrenish sorts carrying large backpacks came from that direction, which was handy. Had a brief look round the YHA grounds though and found that they have CHICKENS. I dunno if they’re the YHA’s or someone else’s, but there were chickens and such. And badger sets… but I know there are badgers here.

Walked out and the sun was shining, went through a little wood which was just FULL of wild garlic (on the way back home I picked a decent little handful, may have it for supper later with a tin of sardines perhaps… I hope the large stash in the wood stays alive for a while, it’d be nice to have continuous slightly garlicky tasting free salad. Walked on through the wood, then sat on a fence to look at the view, then kept walking. The footpath wasn’t exactly clear, couldn’t work out if I’d just walked into a private field of not… but then saw a church & walked towards it. I then got worried, as it looked like I may have to walk through a farmyard (and when you don’t have a map to say whether there is a public footpath through it or not, it’s WORRYING, mostly because I don’t like barking dogs running at me). So I turned back, and got moo’d at by a cow (there were a few in the field, with a bull & calf too).
Decided to go down the other side of the field instead, but when I heard a tractor start up & still wasn’t sure if I was on the footpath or not I headed pronto down the hill hoping there was a stile or gate at the bottom. There was not. Instead, there was a barbed wire fence with brambles & nettles. But me being me, and not being overly fond of tractors tearing down on me (they weren’t) decided to climb through the fence anyway. Then safely into another place (a tangly bit of woodland / dead area) I thought I may as well climb into the other field which I knew was attached to where I had come from… so to get into THAT field I climbed over more barbed wire past a broken rusty gate, over a tree. Then instead of going the way I knew I could go, I walked along the other field boundary which joined onto a wood. After a while of walking along here in the sun (I thought I was quite nice and camouflaged wearing brown boots, dark green jeans, and a yellow floral vest top with a green velvet ribbon in my hair), I noticed that the barbed wire between the wood & field looked easy to climb through, even if it meant going yet further away from my original place. So I went through it and got lightly molested by some spindly branches of a tree which decided they REALLY wanted to touch me and not let go. Through the wood I went – in a little while it’s going to be gorgeously full with bluebells – and crunch crunch crunch over dead leaves. I soon enough stumbled upon a path, so walked on that as it seemed a bit more proper, and for me less likely to get shot (not that farmers / land owners seem to do that anymore. Bit out of fashion to have human skins hanging above your fire place). I followed this path, and it lead through the wood near to the estuary / river / MUD. Soon enough I found some double steps (like ones for mounting a horse) taking me over a wire fence, so I went over & skipped across a random railway line (don’t think it’s a main line, in fact I seem to remember reading some place that it doesn’t work or is only used in certain circumstances or something? WHO KNOWS. I went over it, and then hopped onto the beach / dry bit right next to the river. After watching the water for a bit I ate a little bit of malt loaf and drew a small picture and tracked back in my steps back onto the path.
Continuing to follow the path I eventually came out of the wood into a field, which I soon recognised to be that which is below the hostel! So through the field I went – making sure to stop and lie down in the middle of it for a brief snooze – and eventually got back here.
Lubly jubly.
The sun is now umming and arring as to whether it is coming out of staying behind a misty cloud.

“Sexy Ways” by Funkadelic reminds me of Glastonbury. Just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment