Wednesday 5 October 2011

98. All the yummy food I ate



I drew me a pheasant! Actually I drew it for mon grandmere... her geburtstag.

Ahh another week… admittedly in whole it went rather speedily, but day by day it dragged by sooo slooow… probably wasn’t helped by the fact that on one day I did too many sit ups from an odd angle, and too many hula-hoopings, and then got dead tired and run down so felt utterly caput (on a couple of days Sam had to keep prodding me to make sure I was alive). Thankfully there were a few days of the most superb weather! Indian summer, the radio said; so naturally we (myself, Duncan, Rachel, and Rachel’s Paul) drove off to Polridmouth beach and leapt in the sea. We floated about in the oddly shallow and muddy depths, giggling and staring up at the blue sky…

Interruption – a yellow ochre coloured moth has just landed next to me on the bed, the nosy parker…

…before chowing down on a lunch of Eden Project bread (really yummy) which had been left behind by someone, with salted butter, Marmite, and honey (not mixed together). That night we all sat in the living room eating a rather marvellous lasagne which was made from loads of random leftovers so every mouthful tasted different to the last; we drank drinks and played Uno. Mr Arnold appeared later that eve and more was drunk, more Uno was played, and sure enough I got a hangover the next day. This seems to be happening a fair load recently (more than usual, anyway). End of season “madness”, I guess… we’re all getting twitchy. The middle of the day was filled mostly with laying outside on the grass in the rather hot sunshine and having Dan & Kelsie comment on how I looked dead (I DID stay laying there for a fair long time in the end).

Sunday evening I drove with Mr Arnold back to Fal and on the Monday we had a relatively lazy day, brief trip in to Trago Mills (where I met Carl) to buy MANLY! things for Hector, then on to a green little tucked away valley near Lanner (the name of which fails me). I had been in a pretty grumpy mood all morning, but the woods certainly calmed me down, especially with the busy stream rushing down the centre of it.

That eve we ate a scrummy yummy beef roast cooked by Arnold (‘cept the Yorkshire puds, which I created), accompanied by red wine and followed up by lemon sorbet with frozen raspberries in bed with an eyeful of Downton Abbey and one hell of a lot of arse gas. Sometimes it’s good to have lazy days when not so much is done.

Today (this was written Tuesday eve) was a little less lazy, waking up at a reasonable time (8:30am) and driving off to Lisa’s field where I ate my breakfast in her little gypsy caravan and grinned at Dan when he woke up as he always looks like a boiled owl. We lazed and nattered for a while, Dave Wisdom emerged from his caravan across the field and came in for coffee (fresh & proper mint tea for me) and then at around 11 the three of us climbed in to Hector and drove off (the scenic way) to the Ferryboat Inn in North Helford.

The sun came out just in time for lunch, so we sat outside overlooking the river and drank our drinks (just a half of Rattler for me!) and got pestered by a drunken wasp. Lisa & I shared a big pot of garlic & white wine mussels, some bread, some proper hand cut (skins still on) chips, and a bowl of pan fried whole large prawns. This was followed up by a walk along the footpath, collecting sloe’s from the hedges for sloe gin, and breaking in over the wall to Trebah garden beach where upon Lisa & I leapt in to the clear, calm sea and swam in our underwear; naturally I stayed in longer than Lisa (a fair long while indeed, infact!) and floated and floated and floated. And swam. And helped Dan’s oyster shell boat with a ballast of flat stones to get out to sea… but then it was dragged under by a Kraken hidden in the depths of the seaweed jungle under a little rocky area. I went to dive for it, but seaweed Kraken’s really don’t appeal.

Getting back to Lisa’s caravan we sat on the sofa and warmed ourselves by the log burner (Dan dried & toasted my socks) before I drove back “home” to Golant.

All in all, a nice relaxed weekend.

This coming week is supposed to be a quiet one which will be nice, and on one of the days I may be joining the YHA team (myself, Penzance Paul, Lands End Chris, and Perranporth Phil) in a Quarryathon! It sounds exciting, if I do partake then I hope the weather remains good enough (though it seems the Indian Summer is over, and we’re returning to normal October weather).

I hope the gallery in Brighton get in contact with me again, they sent me an e-mail saying they’d like to feature some of my work there if I was interested – naturally I was and they seem like a really good place. BRIGHTON!

I must remember to continue eating food from out of my cupboards, I have rather a large amount to eat before I go, and to do things like make / finish a few peoples crocheted arm warmers and send some letters and cards and play with clay. Yes yes yes.

I hope I get everything done.

There you go! SLIGHTLY less lengthy update than per usual in recent times!


And here is a lovely piece by Anna Emma Laitinen...

No comments:

Post a Comment